• Adjust text size

Welcome to the city museum of Trier!

The City Museum Simeonstift in Trier shows art and cultural treasures from the Middle Ages to well into the 21th century. The exhibition is founded on a collection of valuable donations made by well-known citizens of the city. The artefacts on display are divided into a variety of sections, including paintings, sculptures, arts and crafts, Coptic textiles, furniture and small Oriental plastic art forms.

Practical Information

The focal point of the permanent exhibition revolves around the history of the city of Trier. Regularly changing special exhibitions are dedicated to Trier’s native artists or to topics associated with the city. The collection is housed in the Roman building of the Collegiate of St. Simeon, which originates from the 11th century and is directly adjacent to the Porta Nigra. Also worthy of note is the building itself, which boasts one of the oldest and rarely preserved two-storey cloisters. The admission price includes an audio guide (D/E/F/NL), also available as an audio guided tour for children (D).

Opening hours

  • Tuesday to Sunday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
  • The museum is closed on Mondays.

Admission fees

  • Admission 5.50 €, reduced 4 €
  • Groups (min. of 10) 4 € per person
  • Families (2 adults and children) 9 €
  • Admission free for children to the age of 10
  • School classes with teachers 1 € per person
  • Reduced fee with Trier-Card 25%
  • Every first Sunday of the month only 1 € per person

Fees for guided tours

  • School classes 3 € per pupil
  • Guided tour in English for private groups (advance booking required) 70 € plus reduced admission fee per person
  • To book a guided tour, contact us by E-Mail or by telephone at +49 (0)651 718-1452.

Location

The Stadtmuseum is situated next to the Porta Nigra in the Romanesque Simeonstift building. A ten minutes’ walk from the main station, bus stops (Porta Nigra & Simeonstiftplatz) for all city buses as well as multi-storey and underground car parks are all located in the vicinity.

Accessibility

The disabled accessible entrance to the Museum is via “Brunnenhof”. A lift in the central stairwell provides unobstructed access to all areas of the Museum. Disabled toilets are located in the basement (accessible via lift).

CONTACT US

Stadtmuseum Simeonstift Trier
Simeonstr. 60
54290 Trier

Phone: +49 (0)651 718-1459
Fax: +49 (0)651 718-1458
E-Mail

CORONA INFO

In order to contain the corona pandemic, hygiene measures must also be observed in the Simeonstift City Museum. When visiting the Stadtmuseum Simeonstift Trier and its events, there are no longer any restrictions regarding compliance with 3G rules: Visiting our museum is possible without prior registration. Wearing medical masks is not mandatory. However, due to the continued high risk of infection, we ask that you voluntarily wear medical masks. For your protection – for our protection. Thanks!

Exhibitions

The history of Trier

Some 900 objects from 2,000 years of town history await visitors on 1,000 square metres of exhibition space. Donations from citizens of Trier formed the point of departure for this collection, and the various sections on the town’s history are accordingly diverse. Spread throughout the northern and eastern wings of the museum, they include paintings and sculptures, porcelain and textiles, but also an outstanding collection of Eastern Asian objects, all providing insight into Trier’s economic, political and cultural past.

Hans Proppe. Visionary, designer and life reformer

January 15 – September 3, 2023

In the first half of the 20th century, Hans Proppe was one of the most interesting professors and artists in the city of Trier. From 1904 he worked as an “Architect for Arts and Crafts” at the commercial training and trade school – today’s Trier University of Applied Sciences. On the occasion of the major exhibition “Why are you creative?” by filmmaker Hermann Vaske, which starts on February 12, the Stadtmuseum is once again dedicating an exhibition to this important creative mind in the museum’s cabinet room.